Search site

The Visual Impact Project

If you have any questions or need any further clarification on the National Grid Visual Impact Project, please email the Clerk of Hale Parish Council - Kathy Cleary - hpcclerk@gmail.com She will forward your enquiry to the person best informed to answer the question.


NOVEMBER 2018 - NOTIFICATION FROM NATIONAL GRID OF GROUND INVESTIGATION SURVEYS - HALE PURLIEU

Please see attached notification received from National Grid ref ground investigation surveys.

"Mott MacDonald and Structural Soils Ltd will start these surveys in November for a period of approximately four weeks in various locations across Hale Purlieu. These locations have been agreed with Natural England, the New Forest National Park Authority, the Forestry Commission, the National Trust and the Verderers of the New Forest."

Notification from National Grid re ground investigation surveys November 2018adobe icon N Grid ground surveys Nov 18 [187kb]

OCTOBER 2018 - LETTER FROM NATIONAL GRID/ BRUTON KNOWLES TO HALE RESIDENTS

Following a parishioner request at the Oct Parish Council meeting and a further request from another parishioner received by email in the days following the meeting, HPC would like to set out the following by way of clarification of the Parish Council offer to attend National Grid meetings with residents:

1. The 'commitment' of the Parish Council to attend National Grid meetings with residents

The idea of offering residents a one on one meeting to have their personal questions answered was suggested to National Grid (via their representative, Stuart Fox) by Cllr Lucas after the Stakeholder Reference Group meeting at which the latest route was disclosed and it became clear to Cllr Lucas that many more Hale residents would suffer real and sustained disruption through the period of the project.

The one-on-one meetings were part of Cllr Lucas's report to the August meeting of the Parish Council on the Stakeholder Reference Group meeting and was minuted and recorded as such. Cllr Lucas had also verbally suggested to Stuart Fox that HPC would be willing to attend these meetings if so desired by residents.

Cllr Lucas had discussed this concept informally with individual Councillors who had confirmed their willingness to help, subject to availability. Cllr Hartas has since specifically confirmed to the Clerk (and to a Parishioner who had also enquired) that at the Parish Council meeting on 4th Oct, she had simply forgotten the informal conversation she had had with Cllr Lucas some two months before about attending resident meetings.

The offer to attend from HPC was intended to increase resident options and to be helpful to residents. As supportive bystanders Councillors could help ensure that what is said by both parties is as clear and unambiguous as possible. HPC's offer was one for residents to accept or decline as they wished; the Parish Council understands that some residents may choose not to meet National Grid at this stage and that equally, some may choose to meet National Grid alone and others may choose to have their own professional advisers alongside them at any meeting.

The actual wording in the letter sent to residents, describing Parish Council attendees as 'impartial third parties' does not clearly represent the intention behind the Parish Council's proposal above.

The Parish Council has written to National Grid to clarify the position and asked that this clarification be sent to all residents who received the original letter.

2. The letter sent to residents dated 26th September by Bruton Knowles

Cllr Lucas has confirmed to Councillors that a draft of the letter had been sent to her by Camargue/ National Grid. Unfortunately, this occurred whilst she was on holiday in an area with particularly poor mobile and email communication. Rather than hold up the letter unnecessarily, Cllr Lucas tried to review whilst overseas and responded to National Grid with a request to advise her of the potential sending date of the letter so that she could make sure the whole Council knew what was happening.

Somehow this message was misinterpreted by National Grid and the letter was sent without other Councillors having sight of it. Hence the letter was sent without being reviewed and agreed by the whole Parish Council but this was as a result of an error in communication (compounded by the actions of National Grid who, having 'sat' on the suggestion of residents' one-on-one meetings for almost eight weeks then sent a letter within a few days of circulating its initial draft to a limited number of people).

A copy of the letter was sent to all other councillors (and copied to the Clerk) by email on Monday 1st October -after the letters had been despatched and c. 22 hours before the Parish Council meeting on the Tuesday evening. Hence it is entirely understandable Cllr Aitken-Sykes had not seen the letter; the clerk saw the email but as it was received after the deadline of correspondence for the October Parish Council meeting, she did no more than skim read it and make a mental note to come back to it and review it in detail after the PC meeting.

The Parish Council agrees that the sending of the letter without full review and agreement was unfortunate but the Parish Council accept Councillor Lucas' explanation of events and in particular the Parish Council is satisfied that there was no 'improper behaviour' by Cllr Lucas.

Copies of the letters sent to and received from Bruton Knowles are attached below

Letters to and from National Grid ref Bruton Knowles letter Oct 18 adobe icon Letters to and from National Grid ref Bruton Knowles letter [924kb]

16TH OCT 2018 - SUMMARY OF CONCERNS RECEIVED SENT TO NATIONAL GRID AND UPDATED FOR COMMENTS RECEIVED FROM NATIONAL GRID 9TH OCT 2018

HPC has asked Parishioners to document questions or concerns on the VIP proposals. Feedback received to 28th August was anonymised and summarised and sent to National Grid for comment. Any response received will be posted on the website and forwarded separately to individual contributors.

Letter to National Grid ref VIP feedback received by HPC to 28 August 2018adobe icon HPC letter 070918 to Ben Smith ref resident feedback received to 28th Aug 18 [137kb]
Summary Feedback received by HPC to 28 August 2018 - UPDATED FOR NATIONAL GRID RESPONSES 9TH OCT 2018adobe icon VIP feedback for National Grid - updated for responses received 9th October 2018 [529kb]

 


7TH SEPT 2018 - LETTER SENT TO NATIONAL GRID REF LIVESTOCK MOVEMENT CONCERNS

Cllr Hartas hosted a meeting at Hale Village Hall for commoners and horse riders to raise any livestock concerns about the current VIP proposals. As a result of this meeting, the letter below was sent to National Grid for comment. Any response received will be posted on the website and forwarded separately to individual contributors.

Letter to National Grid 7th Sept ref Livestock impactadobe icon HPC letter to Ben Smith ref livestock movements commoner feedback 070918 [141kb]

NATIONAL GRID VIP PROJECT 4TH ANNUAL REPORT AUGUST 2018

For general information on the National VIP project, please see the latest annual report received

National Grid VIP Project 4th Annual Report Aug 2018adobe icon NG-VIP Fourth Annual Report 2018_Eng_FINAL WEB [3Mb]

 


27TH/ 31ST JULY 2018 - NG PUBLIC INFORMATION EVENTS 

Received from National Grid "We are pleased to confirm that we will be holding public information events later this month for local people and stakeholders to find out more about the VIP project in the New Forest.  These events will be an important opportunity for the local community to learn more about our plans and share their views on the project, with members of the National Grid team on hand to answer any questions and discuss VIP in detail.  The events are scheduled to take place on:

Friday 27 July 2018 2.00pm - 8.00pm Hale village hall, Hatchet Green, Hale, Fordingbridge SP6 2NE

Tuesday 31 July 2018 2.00pm - 8.00pm Woodgreen village hall, 7 Hale Road, Woodgreen, Fordingbridge SP6 2AJ

These public information sessions will be followed in the autumn by formal public consultation events prior to submitting a planning application, which is now likely to be in 2019 following further feedback we have received from stakeholders and local people on our plans."


19TH JULY 2018 - NG VIP STAKEHOLDER ADVISORY GROUP MEETING

At the invitation of National Grid, Cllr Lucas attended the Stakeholder Advisory Group meeting on Thurs 19th July on behalf of HPC. Cllr Lucas will report back to HPC. Please see HPC note of meeting and map of new proposed route.

HPC note of N Grid Stakeholder Advisory Group Meeting 19 July 2018adobe icon HPC NGVIP SAG note 19 July 2018 [17kb]
National Grid Visual Impact Project Route Map 19 July 2018adobe icon N Grid Proposed Route Map 19 July 2018 [3Mb]

17TH JULY 2018 - HPC LETTER TO VERDERERS REF COMMONER COMPENSATION SCHEME

Following discussions at the stakeholder briefing meeting, HPC sent the attached letter to the New Forest Verderers to follow up on several aspects of the proposed compensation scheme. Any response received will be uploaded here. 

HPC letter to Verderers 17 July 2018adobe icon HPC letter to Verderers ref NG VIP compensation July 2018 [329kb]

9TH JULY 2018 - NG COMMUNITY LIAISON GROUP MEETING

At the invitation of National Grid, Cllr Bill Templeton attended a Community Liaison Group meeting on 9th July 2018. The slide pack presented by National Grid is attached below. A note of the meeting is being produced by MG and will be uploaded when received.

9th July - MG slide pack presented to Community Liaison Group meetingadobe icon Slide pack presented at National Grid Community Liaison Group meeting 9 July 2018 [4Mb]

19th JUNE 2018 - HPC BRIEFING MEETING WITH NG AND VIP STAKEHOLDER ADVISORY GROUP

At the invitation of National Grid, HPC attended a briefing meeting on 19th June 2018 with other members of the VIP Stakeholder Advisory Group.

HPC notes of that meeting are attached below, together with a statement from Hale Parish Council

  
HPC statement ref Visual Impact Project - dated 27 June 2018adobe icon HPC statement re VIP project 27 June 18 [12kb]
HPC notes of briefing meeting held 19 June 2018adobe icon HPC notes of VIP briefing meeting 19 June 2018 [252kb]