Hale Village Hall
Hale Village Hall occupies a delightful spot overlooking Hatchet Green, an SSSI site, in the New Forest. There is a large car park in front and a wooded area on one side, a delightful setting for village events.
In 1927 a public meeting was held in Hale School to discuss raising funds to build a village hall. By the end of 1929 sufficient funds had been raised and in 1931 a plot of land was purchased adjoining the village green. A Trust Deed was drawn up establishing the Hall as a registered charity and vesting the property in the Official Trustee for Charity Lands. Dear & Sons won the contract to build the Hall. It was officially opened on 16th February 1932. By 1935 all debt was cleared. In 1936 electricity was installed, but it was not until 1950 that a piped water supply was available. A new committee room and kitchen were added in 1958. In 1998, with a grant from the Lottery Fund, the main hall was re-floored, a store room added and the downstairs committee room extended.
More recently the Hall has undergone further refurbishment and now has a fully equipped commercial kitchen.
Initially the Hall was used as an extra classroom for the school. In the evenings there was a weekly dance club and a cinema show. In the summer it was in regular use by the Cricket Club. Various societies have used it over the years. It is currently used daily by Hale Primary School and Hale Pre-School and weekly by Dog Training, Music Group and Hale Brownies. In the school holidays visiting Brownie packs camp in the Hall. Other regular users are Hale Parish Council, Hale and Woodgreen Horticultural Society (alternating with Woodgreen Hall) and Hale and Redlynch Cricket Club. It is also the venue for occasional concerts, social events and private parties.
The Hall is looked after by the Hale Hall Management Committee, which is appointed annually. It comprises elected trustees together with representatives from the village and various societies which use the Hall. The rental charged for use of the Hall is reinvested in repair and maintenance, together with additional money from fund-raising events as required.
The main Hall has a movable stage; a screen for slide projection; and seats up to 100 people. There is a storage room for the tables and chairs when not in use. The kitchen is newly refurbished and fully equipped with commercial appliances including a gas cooker and hob, separate combi oven, dishwasher and fridge freezer. It has crockery and cutlery for 80 people. Showers and toilets (including one for the disabled) are available.
To use the Hall please contact the booking secretary, Marjaana Batterbury on 01725 510050